Sunday, September 15, 2013

Selected for Removal



First of all, let me apologize for my absence and lack of diligence in maintaining this blog to anyone who may have actually followed it or noticed.  Work requirements and life in general through the summer have interfered with, well, life in general.  I should be moving into a new work routine that may or may not offer a more structured setting and let me get back to the things I love to do in life.

I did manage to get out to one of my favorite haunts today; more just to get out, than for anything else.  The cool spell we are having in late summer is a welcome relief and made for a very pleasurable and soul renewing experience.

I know I've said this before, but I still wonder about the purpose of some of God's creatures on this earth.  Take the Emerald Ash Borer.  A small insect.  A beautiful insect.  But what it has done to the beautiful ash trees in this part of the country is devastating.  The preserve I visited today has, or had many beautiful ash trees, before the Emerald Ash Borer moved into this area.  The effect has been unbelievable and irreparable.  Many trees are dead or dying.  40 trees have been selected for removal from the preserve because of the possible danger they impose on visitors.  Many more, that pose no danger, will be left because of the only positive effect the Borers have.  When the ash tree dies, it quickly dries and becomes brittle (hence the danger to visitors from possible falling branches or whole trees).  The affect of drying causes the bark to loosen and separate from the tree.  This creates cavities that offer roosting places for the endangered Indiana Bat.  So the dead trees that are being left will provide a good habitat and support to another of God's creatures.

Still it saddens me to see so many wonderful trees gone in an environment that is so fragile to begin with.  I wonder what the loss of these trees will do to this place.  I may never know what changes happen here because of this, in my lifetime.  But, I will continue to visit and support it, as best I can, for as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment